DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently ranked Dobbs Ferry the seventh-best place to live in New York.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities.
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student-to-teacher ratio).
- Total crimes.
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax).
- Commute time.
- Weather (temperature and air quality).
Dobbs Ferry placed in the top five of three categories: quality of life (third), unemployment (fourth) and weather quality (fifth). The town of nearly 11,000 also placed seventh in tax rate.
Dobbs Ferry struggled mightily in commute times and amenities, ranking 61st and 79th out of 87 communities, respectively.
The overall score of 27.14 for Harrison placed it oustisde the top six spots, which were held by Mamaroneck, Tarrytown, White Plains Mount Kisco, Scarsdale and Harrison.
Overall, Westchester County communities dominated the top 10, taking 10 spots. Ossining, Rye and New Rochelle (tied for 10th with Saratoga Springs) also made the top ten.
- 1 Mysterious UFO Still Vexes Westchester Police Officer
- 2 Music, Food, Games, Events Featured At Dobbs Ferry Festa Street Fair
- 3 Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet Replaces Greenburgh Loehmann's
- 4 Superintendent: Sedan That Approached Student Had 'No Ill Intent'
- 5 CDC Warns Respiratory Virus May Be Linked To Mysterious Paralysis