HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. With a village budget of $12,982,932 in 2011, a large chunk of that money was devoted to village employees and their annual salaries. Total spending is proposed to rise to $13,338,418 in the villages 2012-13 budget, a 2.74 percent increase.
It seems some of these costs have escalated, and this is true in the corporate world as well, said Hastings resident Jim Metzger. Somebody comes into a position and negotiates a higher fee than the person who is leaving. They leave a couple years later, and that becomes the new baseline. I personally would like to see them reset the baseline.
Compared to other villages and similar positions, though, Metzger said he wasnt ready to say one way or the other if salaries have climbed too high.
I dont have enough information to say, and for me to just off the top of the head say no, theyre getting paid too much, is really a disingenuous answer, he said. Its really not an open-and-shut question for me.
Here are the top 10 annual village salaries in Hastings based on the 2011-12 budget.
- Village Manager Fran Frobel, $156,725.
- Police Lt. David Dosin, $117,576.
- Superintendent of Public Works Michael Gunther, $109,464.
- Director of Youth Services Bill Finkledey, $109,464.
- Police sergeants and detectives, $108,949. The department has six of these positions, according to the village website.
- Building Inspector Deven Sharma, $102,326.
- Superintendent of Parks and Recreation Raymond Gomes, $98,485.
- Police Officer first grade, $97,879. The department had 10 such officers, according to the 2011-12 budget.
- Deputy Manager/Village Clerk Susan Maggiotto, $96,514.
- Lead mechanic, $82,988.
These salaries were taken from documents provided by the Hastings village clerk and the village manager.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.