DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- The Dobbs Ferry Fire Department had to put out a fire in its own building Wednesday afternoon at approximately 2:50 p.m. According to fire department officials, contractors were replacing valves on water heaters in the firehouse boiler room, which led to the incident.
"He was trying to change the valve and snapped it off and started the gas fire," said Fire Chief Jim Trezza.
The Ardsley Fire Department assisted in putting out the fire and a total of approximately 15 firefighters were at the scene, according to Trezza. He added, no firefighters were hurt in the fire, but the contractor did sustain some injuries, the extent of which is currently unknown.
After the valve snapped off, gas poured out into the basement starting the fire, but Trezza said the fire department could not do anything at first.
"You can't put the actual fire out until the gas is off," Trezza said.
Con Edison was reportedly called in to shut the gas off and the fire department worked quickly afterwards.
"Once the gas got shut off, the fire was out in two minutes," Trezza said.
The firehouse suffered some smoke damage, but no major structural damage.
Main Street was closed off for approximately 45 minutes, according to Robin Larkins, who was working across the street from the firehouse.
"They were very quick to coordinate off the street," Larkins said. "The response was very immediate, it was swift."
The fire trucks were pulled out of the firehouse to avoid being damaged while the flames were being put out.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.