HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. – Hastings-on-Hudson Mayor Peter Swiderski released a statement Wednesday afternoon updating the status of power outages in the village and providing other information that might help residents get through the next few days without power.
According to the statement, Con Edison crews have cut power to a number of downed lines, and the utility warns residents to avoid all downed lines, which still may be carrying power.
"There has been no restoration of power yet," Swiderski said. "Two-thirds of the village remains without power. The three Con Ed crews are still here, focused exclusively on de-powering the live downed lines."
As of Wednesday morning, lines on Lefurgy, Jefferson, Broadway and Dorchester streets had been de-powered, and crews were working on Kent Avenue and Cliff Street. Many of the closed streets should be worked on Wednesday and Thursday.
Con Edison has notified the village that the first homes may begin to receive power Thursday at the earliest, but the utility company is not committing to a time frame at this point.
With the advent of colder weather, the Andrus Rehablilitation Center has a limited number of beds available for people who cannot stay in ther homes. Those who need shelter may call the police at 914-478-2344.
For those who do not have hot water, village resident Anthony Tarricone, who owns Equalize Fitness at 1 Odell Plaza just south of the village on Broadway in Yonkers, is offering free hot showers at the gym.
"Even our conservative Chief of Police agrees that the diversion is likely to be welcome," Swiderski said in the statement. "Patience, a sense of humor and resiliency, and generosity. We're going to need a surplus of all of them in the next week. Grace under pressure is the most valued grace of all."
- 1 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 2 Irvington Resident Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring
- 3 Sen. Stewart-Cousins Pushes Dobbs Ferry Permit Parking System Bill
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 Man, 29, Pleads Guilty To Child Porn Charges, Says Westchester DA