HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. With power being knocked out in many homes across the village for several days, candles are always a popular source of light. The Hastings Volunteer Fire Department and mayor Peter Swiderski sent out messages to residents to remind them of safety precautions.
The fire department reminds those who are using candles to properly secure them and make sure they're fully extinguished when you do blow them out, Swiderski said in a message. Candles are one of the top causes of fires in this country. The village also sent out the fire departments fire prevention video as a reminder to residents.
Reminders about daylight savings time were also sent out as it ends Sunday at 2 a.m. The village encouraged residents to change smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries as they set their clocks back.
The Hastings-on-Hudson Volunteer Fire Department reminds all residents to take the extra time to replace the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes while clocks are changed this weekend, the village said in a message to residents.
The village told residents to contact Fire Inspector James Drumm or Fire Chief James Sarfaty with any further questions. Drumm can be reached at 478-2707 and JDrumm@Hastingsgov.org and Sarfaty can be reached at 478-1322 and Firechief@Hastingsgov.org.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.