DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. – The hometown boy made good with Facebook several years ago, but the May initial public offering that took the popular social media company public made Dobbs Ferry native Mark Zuckerberg one of the richest people in the world.
Buoyed by a growing membership and loyal base of daily users, Facebook offered stock at $38 a share on May 18 and jumped to $42 before experiencing rises and falls to a close of $38.23. First-day buyers have since lost a third of their investment, as the stock plunged to around $26 over the summer, where it remains in late December.
Zuckerberg is now reportedly worth more than $9.4 billion. After leaving Dobbs Ferry and attending Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire, he attended Harvard University, but dropped out to focus on Facebook.
The 28-year-old social media whiz kid attended school in Ardsley and remains connected to the community through his family. Dr. Edward Zuckerberg is a prominent Dobbs Ferry dentist who enjoys a thriving practice.
There was more good news through the year despite the disappointing stock drop. Zuckerberg married his longtime girlfriend Priscilla Chan less than a week after the IPO, which brought Facebook $16 billion.
Zuckerberg, who now lives in Palo Alto, Calif., was named to the Forbes list of 400 richest Americans in September, climbing to 36th place.
- 1 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 2 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 3 Sprain Brook Parkway Checkpoint In Greenburgh Results In 12 Charges
- 4 Local NBA Hopefuls Show Off Skills For Westchester Knicks In Greenburgh
- 5 Mrs. Westchester Charged With Stealing From Group Home