YONKERS, N.Y. – Mildred Sullivan (Millie) Schlachter, 86, a former resident of Yonkers and Ardsley, died on Dec. 25 in Grand Villa ALF in Largo, Fla.
Schlachter was born in Forest Hills, N.Y., on July 20, 1927, to Frank and Irma Sullivan.
Schlachter was an author and poet, and was known as Lady River Writer. She wrote two books, and was active in community, church and business activities. Her books, “A River Beckons Vol. 1” and “A River Beckons Vol. 2”, were centered around the Hudson River.
She married Robert Schlachter in 1948 and had four children, Robert, Donald, Douglas, and Daniel; five grandchildren, Michael, Catherine, Timothy, Robert, Luke; and three great grandchildren, Nathaniel, Noah, and Randyll. She moved to Clearwater, Fla. in 1992.
A memorial service will be held at Edwards and Dowdle Funeral Home 64 Ashford Ave. Dobbs Ferry, 800-564-3330 on Saturday, Jan 11 at 9:30 a.m. Burial of the ashes will be at Mt. Hope cemetery immediately following the memorial.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Rivertowns, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 3 18-24 Inches Of Snow Possible In Rivertowns; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Rivertowns
- 5 Accidents On Slippery Westchester Roadways Include Jackknifed Trailer