DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Former Dobbs Ferry resident Rev. Canon Charles E. Karsten passed away recently at Maine Veterans’ Home. He was 89.
Karsten was born in New York City on May 30, 1924, the eldest son of the Rev. Charles E. and Elizabeth Scovil Karsten.
He was ordained as a deacon at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York City, and as a priest at St. Stephen’s Church, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, where he served as assistant minister from 1948 to 1951.
Karsten was preceded in death by his wife, Daphne, who died Nov. 11, 2013; a son, Christopher; a brother, the Rev. John deLancy Karste;, and another brother, the Rev. Beverley B. Karsten.
Karsten is survived by his daughter, Wendy D. Karsten-Beck, Pentridge House, Readfield, Maine; a daughter-in-law, Laila Faavaag of New York; two grandchildren, Rebecca and Charles Karsten of New York; and a sister Anna K. Iredale of Philadelphia, Pa.
Memorials may be sent to:
Christ Episcopal Church Building Fund
2 Dresden Avenue
Gardiner, Maine 04345
- 1 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 2 Hastings, Yonkers Will See Parking Limits, Road Closings
- 3 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 4 State Police Warn Rivertowns Residents Of Phone Scam
- 5 Man Recovering As 'Ice Missile' From 18-Wheeler On TZB Breaks Windshield