MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Sr. Loretta Egan of Mount Vernon died Feb. 21. She was 102.
Sr. Egan was born March 13, 1911, in New York City, to Michael and Anastasia Egan. She entered the Sisters of St. Francis Neumann Community in July 1943 at the motherhouse in Wappinger Falls. She took her first vows Feb. 2, 1946 and her final vows on the same date in 1949. She began her ministry as an educator at St. Catherine School in Pelham from 1943 to 1944, and returning there for 10 more years in 1947. She also taught at St. Clare Academy in Hastings, Immaculate Conception School in Astoria, St. Elizabeth School, Mt. Loretto Staten Island and Immaculate Conception School in Tuckahoe. Her final years in ministry of education was as a part time volunteer at St. Eugene School in Yonkers.
Sr. Egan is survived by many nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her parents.
Calling hours are Wednesday, Feb. 26 from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. at the Westchester Funeral Home, Inc. Eastchester. A Funeral Mass of the requiem will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 27 at St. Eugene's Church in Yonkers. Interment to follow at Resurrection Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations in Sr. Egan’s memory may be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Neumann Community, 2500 Grant Blvd., Syracuse, NY 13208.
For more information, visit: http://www.westchesterfuneralhome.com
- 1 Pedestrian Struck, Killed In Saw Mill Parkway Accident In Dobbs Ferry
- 2 Pedestrian Struck, Killed On Saw Mill River Parkway In Dobbs Ferry Is ID'd
- 3 Driver, Witnesses Assist Police After Pedestrian Killed In Dobbs Ferry
- 4 IRS Warns Rivertowns Residents Of Phone Scam
- 5 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS