DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Dobbs Ferry High School has been named one of the most challenging high schools in Westchester County, ranking sixth in the area and the 28th-most challenging high school in New York State, according to a new national study of public and private high schools conducted by the Washington Post.
According to the report, the study ranks schools through an index formula that is a simple ratio: the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at a school each year, divided by the number of seniors who graduated that year. A ratio of 1.000 means the school had as many tests as graduates.
Also noted are the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for lunch subsidies and the percentage of graduates who passed at least one college-level test during their high school career, called equity and excellence, according to the report.
Dobbs Ferry High School received an index score of 3.537 with its 98-percent four-year graduation rate, average SAT score of 1,645 and an average ACT score of 24.5.
Dobbs Ferry also was ranked the 37th-most challenging school in the Northeast region and 335th nationally.
City Honors in Buffalo was ranked the most challenging school in New York State with an index of 9.121. American Indian Public Charter School in Oakland, Calif., was named the most challenging school in America with an index of 21.909 in the Post's study.
The top 10 most-challenging high schools in Westchester County, according to the study are:
1. Bronxville High School (4.933)
2. Rye High School (4.220)
3. Yonkers High School (4.212)
4. Harrison High School (4.205)
5. Irvington High School (3.882)
6. Dobbs Ferry High School (3.537)
7. Horace Greeley High School, Chappaqua (3.371)
8. Croton-Harmon High School, Croton (3.349)
9. Edgemont High School, Scarsdale (3.321)
10. Rye Neck High School, Mamaroneck (3.155)
- 1 Aunt's Daughter Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Rivertowns
- 3 SoHo East, Dobbs Ferry Pop Up Store Offers Home Goods, Jewelry
- 4 Silo Structures On Tappan Zee Bridge Collapse, Causing Spills
- 5 Schumer Calls For Repairs To Ashford Avenue Bridge