HASTINGS, N.Y. -- A Hastings-on-Hudson Union Free School District graduate is returning home after being named the new assistant principal at Hillside Elementary School.
Farid Johnson, class of 1999, takes over the position after Jim Boylan left to become the principal of Midland School in Rye.
“I am glad to be able to bring diversity within the administration and show young children that no matter what their circumstances are, they can be successful," Johnson said in a statement. "I am a walking example that there can be light at the end of the tunnel.”
Johnson originally studied business and finance in college but later switched to education. Johnson said he was inspired to switch by his younger sister, who passed away during her freshman year at college from pneumonia and the resulting brain failure.
"I saw how helpful the Hastings staff and HASP program were to her as she had special needs, and this ultimately inspired me on my true calling," Johnson said in a statement.
Johnson has a bachelor of arts and a master's degree in professional study from Manhattanville College.
- 1 Former Dobbs Ferry Resident Mark Zuckerberg Says He's Going To Be A Dad
- 2 Autopsy Released For Woman Found Naked In Neighbor's Yard In Yonkers
- 3 Ardsley Police Officer Sues Shoe Manufacturer After Injury
- 4 Two Medical Marijuana Licenses Granted In Westchester
- 5 Police Seeking Public's Help In Identifying Yonkers Hospital Inpatient