DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. The Springhurst Elementary School had its harvest soup lunch this week and now you can make the soup yourself. Take a look at the recipe below and experience what the kids have been working on firsthand.
10 oz. portabella mushrooms, chopped
2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
½ cup olive oil
2 bunches Swiss chard, tough stems removed, leaves chopped
6 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups corn, sliced from cob
3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
1 28 oz. can plum tomatoes, chopped
4 cups of cooked beans (red kidney, black, cannelli)
16 cups vegetable broth
1 piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese with rind (optional)
½ lb. pasta, any shape, cooked
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in large stock pot.
- Add onions, carrots and celery. Sauté 10 minutes until soft.
- Add mushrooms, Swiss chard, potatoes, corn, butternut squash, tomatoes, beans and cheese rind. Add enough vegetable broth to cover vegetables.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours. Add more broth or water as needed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked pasta. Cook 10 more minutes.
- Serve with extra grated cheese as garnish if desired.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.