DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Amanie Riley, a Mercy College senior and Yonkers resident, has been awarded the Lighthouse International Scholarship.
The Lighthouse International Scholarship recognizes the outstanding students who have overcome the challenges of vision loss by awarding them scholarships for college and graduate studies.
Riley, who is pursuing a degree in psychology and education, won the Lighthouse International Scholarship award for $10,000. The award is given to seven students each year who are blind or visually impaired. This year 60 students applied.
“I am honored and very humbled by this recognition," said Riley. "It goes to show you that hard work pays off. I want people to know that despite my visual impairment, I can do anything as long as I put my mind to it.”
Riley hopes to be a teacher of the blind and visually impaired after she graduates from Mercy College.
- 1 Hastings Man Charged With Kidnapping
- 2 TV Show Interview With Daughters Of SUV Driver In Fatal Crash Postponed
- 3 Snow Could Return To Rivertowns For Monday Morning Commute
- 4 Westchester Residents Warned About New Massive IRS Phone Scam
- 5 Daughters Defend Mother Who Drove SUV In Fatal Train Crash On 'Today' Show