HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. - Hastings natives Ben Brown and Danny LoPriore, Jr. each caught touchdown passes, Brown's for the winning score, as the Swarm won the Westchester Flag Football Fall Championship Sunday in a 20-13 victory over the Mamaroneck Police Department.
The Swarm also won the Westchester Flag Football League Spring championship in June.
Brown, who now lives in Manhattan, caught a pass from quarterback Daris Wilson midway through the third quarter to break a 13-13 tie and lift the Swarm to the win. Wilson threw first-half touchdown passes to James Serafin of Yonkers and LoPriore, a former Hastings High School football standout and son of The Daily Voice reporter Danny LoPriore, and
Bronx resident Chris Kehr had several big catches and a game-saving interception in the end zone that ended Mamaroneck's final chance to score.
Brown, the team organizer and captain, cited defenders Eli Shehadeh, Val Daughtrey and Nelson Bareto for their play.
"Nelson pulled flags (tackles by grabbing flags) like a beast and Vic had a huge game rushing the passer," Brown said. "Daris threw three touchdown passes and had an interception and Serafin had the opening score."
From a report by Ben Brown/The Swarm.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Rivertowns, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 3 18-24 Inches Of Snow Possible In Rivertowns; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Rivertowns
- 5 Accidents On Slippery Westchester Roadways Include Jackknifed Trailer