HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. – Longtime Hasting High School basketball coach John Costello will be honored once again when the annual John Costello Holiday Basketball Tournament begins Thursday.
“There are kids on this team  whose fathers played for me,” Costello said at last year's tournament. “There are lots of good memories and good players. I’m glad the tournament is still going on.”
Costello, who taught and coached at Hastings High School more than four decades, started the Holiday Tournament in 1963 and ran it successfully until his retirement in 1991. Costello was Section 1 Coach of the Year in 1969 and 1987. He compiled a career record of 457-255, winning four Section 1 titles. He was inducted into the Westchester Hall of Fame in 1997 and the Hastings Hall of Fame in 2002.
The 2012, the Costello Tournament will include girls teams from Sleepy Hollow, Yorktown and Yonkers high schools and boys teams from Nanuet, Yonkers and Haldane high schools.
Friday's games match Nanuet against Haldane and host Hastings versus Yonkers. In the girls opening round, Yorktown will face Yonkers and Sleepy Hollow plays Hastings.
On Saturday, consolation games are scheduled for 10 a.m. and noon, with the girls and boys championship games set for 2 and 4 p.m. respectively.
- 1 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 2 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 3 Taking Extra Vitamins Increases Cancer, Heart Disease Risk, Study Says
- 4 Westchester Schools Reporting High Opt-Out Rates On State Math Tests
- 5 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Rivertowns