HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. - Hastings High School basketball player Nicole Neto has rebounded and defended her way to being named The Rivertowns Daily Voice Athlete of the Month for January.
Neto, who leaves much of her team's scoring to teammates, proved that hard work under the basket and on defense can reap rewards. The inside power player averaged 8.6 rebounds and 6 points per game while making four blocks and grabbed a team season-high 14 rebounds in her last outing.
"I've always thought defense is the key part of the game and rebounding is one aspect I know I can support my team with," Neto said. "I hope to finish out the season winning our last league game and competing well in playoffs. I think if we work together and play hard we have a good chance at being successful."
Hastings' first-year head coach Alyse LaPadula, who has her girls at 7-9 with the postseason ahead, relies on Neto's contributions at both ends of the court as she develops her system.
"Nicole has been an essential part to our offense and defense," LaPadula said. "She's an outstanding kid, finding herself successful on and off the court. She is incredibly hard-working, has a good head on her shoulders, and has been one of the best leaders on this team."
The Athlete of the Month is chosen by the Daily Voice Sports Department Staff.
- 1 Pedestrian Struck, Killed On Saw Mill River Parkway In Dobbs Ferry Is ID'd
- 2 Driver, Witnesses Assist Police After Pedestrian Killed In Dobbs Ferry
- 3 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 4 Village Manager George Calvi Prepares To Say Goodbye To Ardsley
- 5 Bill Cosby's Tarrytown Shows Are Still On Despite Sex Abuse Allegations