SLEEPY HOLLOW, N.Y. -- Sleepy Hollow High School's football team and its legendary Headless Horseman mascot made the cut for MaxPreps' Images of the Year, which were published on Thursday, Aug. 7.
The photo, shown here, was taken by Patrick Tewey during the Horsemen's game against archrival Ossining last fall at The Hollow.
The photos were selected among images by more than 1,000 freelance photographers in MaxPreps' professional photographers' network nationwide.
Each photographer had the option of submitting three samples from his or her 2013-14 archives.
From the 20 images published here - which were chosen by the photo editor and director of photography from all submissions - three will be selected in an upcoming vote of the MP pro photo network to determine the top three, for cash awards.
New York high schools were represented in six of the 20 images in the feature overall.
This is not the first time Sleepy Hollow's Headless Horseman mascot received recognition from MaxPreps, which named it America's scariest mascot in October 2013. Click here for that story.
Tewey was also cited for a photo of the Mahopac football field with a setting sun as a backdrop from the Section 1 football championships in November 2013.
The complete gallery of the year's best pictures from around the nation is available by clicking here.
Follow Joe Lombardi on Twitter @Joe_Lombardi.
- 1 Nearly One Million Bicycles Are Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 2 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 3 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 4 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teenager
- 5 Funeral Services Held For 20-Year-Old College Student From Westchester