WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Border rivals Biondi School of Yonkers and Martin Luther King Jr. of Hastings will meet Friday at 3 p.m. for the Section 1 Class D boys basketball title at the County Center.
Second-seeded Biondi is the underdog to top-seeded Martin Luther King, with both teams hoping to represent the area in next week's state regional tournament.
Biondi earned its berth in the championship final with an easy 52-36 victory over Greenburgh Academy, and MLK defeated Clark Academy 61-23 in its semifinal test.
Rajien Griffin led MLK with 14 points, teammate Peter Hargrove added 13 points and Dashawn Johnson grabbed 10 rebounds for the Tigers.
Ronald Garcia, who missed last year's playoffs due to an injury, led the Biondi Lions with 24 points and 10 rebounds. Johnnie Gray added14 points to help lead the way.
MLK won back-to-back Section 1 titles in 2005 and 2006 as well as in 2009 and 2010 and is looking for its fifth in school history.
Biondi won Section 1 titles in 2002 and 2003 when it played as Leake & Watts.
This will be an up-and-down the court contest. MLK's defense is a strong point and should be the difference in the game.
- 1 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 2 Sen. Stewart-Cousins Pushes Dobbs Ferry Permit Parking System Bill
- 3 Irvington Resident Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 July 4 Terror Warning Security Measures In Westchester Detailed